28 Aug What if your theory was a house you could walk in? Plugging post-structural and post-human theories into a societal phenomenon and an artistically inspired design
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
qualitative seminar | level: intermediate |
affiliation: KU Leuven
Developing a scholarly ‘feel’ has little to do with acquiring knowledge and skills. It has to do with ‘knowing one’s way around’ in scholarly practice. An important part of developing such attitude is engaging with the theories developed by distinguished scholars. They offer comprehensive frameworks to increase our understanding of complex social realities and/or imaginary possibilities ahead of us. The communication line between researchers and theorists is non-linear; one can never predict what the exact outcome of an engagement of a researcher with an original work will be. Indeed, if you have the aspiration to find your own academic voice you must perceive reading as a dialogic encounter.
In this workshop, you will encounter the thoughts and visions of post-structural and post-human scholars.
• You will be asked to read a part of their original work backwards and in a non-linear fashion.
• You will be asked to translate their ideas or concepts into a two or three dimensional creative design, to share the complexity of their thinking with others who are unfamiliar with the theory. .
• You will be asked to plug in these theories into a societal phenomenon (e.g. the corona pandemic, youth subcultures, …).
In this workshop, we will combine insights from Jackson and Mazzei’s (2013) ‘thinking with theory’ and Sara Scott Shield’s (2018) ‘walking through theory’ approach:
• to jointly explore and experience the relationship between humans, matter and ideas as an assemblage with substantial performative power.
• to help you recognize the impact of different theoretical perspectives on how the same phenomenon is interpreted and presented.
• to challenge academic conventions in how to best analyze, interpret and disseminate research findings via a strategy of ‘materializing’ theoretical concepts through creative practice.
Rest assured, aesthetics is not our main concern; art is no more or less than an experience. So is pitching your first theoretical housing project to us.
Due to Corona regulations, only 15 participants can take part in this seminar.You will have to wear a mouth cap for the entire seminar.
Following a possible change in the current pandemic situation and new government regulations, it is possible that the seminar will be cancelled or done remotely.
Due to the circumstances of limited places, priority is given to PhD students
PhD's of a Flemish university: free of charge
CPR College van Premonstreit
prof. dr. Karin Hannes, Chloe Dierckx
"What if your theory was a house you could walk in? Plugging post-structural and post-human theories into a societal phenomenon and an artistically inspired design" is currently sold out.
Please check back again later, as spots may become available.