28 Aug Using NVivo for qualitative data analysis – ONLINE
- Using NVivo for qualitative data analysis
09/11/2020 - 10/11/2020
9:30 am - 5:00 pm
qualitative seminar | level: beginner |
for questions related to this event, contact email@example.com
affiliation: KU Leuven
Nvivo is by far the most widely used qualitative software program in the Low countries. Unlike its popularity, many users have difficulties implementing the software in their daily research practices. This seminar gives researchers a first insight in the use of Nvivo.
The first day focuses on two basic tasks:
(1) Project management: how to start an Nvivo project and organize you material ?
(2) Coding: how to code your transcripts and visual material ? Special attention will be attributed in gaining efficiency while coding.
We also show how Memos are used and integrated in your qualitative analysis.
The second day, we continue with more advanced tools in the package:
(1) Node and source classifications. These are badly understood concepts in Nvivo while they give the qualitative researcher a powerful tool to make complex comparisons in their data.
(2) Queries: how to build coding queries and text search queries ? How to adapt queries to search for coding, grounded in its context ? How to use queries in your coding work ? We will also show how Classifications are used to explore you data with the Coding Matrix Query and the Crosstabs Query. This query is the most powerful query in Nvivo and we show the different possibilities of this query in qualitative research projects.
The use of Nvivo in Focus Groups will only be touched when sufficient time remains (although participants receive the course material for this session).
Exercise material will be provided but if students have digitalized research material (transcripts, photos) they can make (most of the) exercises on their own material. It is however advised to follow the classroom exercises and only later implement them on your own data. The language of instruction and communication in this seminar is English.
Due to the limited number of computers in the class room and Corona regulations, only 20 participants can take part in this seminar. You will have to wear a mouth cap for the entire seminar.
Following a possible change in the current pandemic situation and new government regulations, it is possible that the seminar will be cancelled or done remotely.
Due to the circumstances of limited places, priority is given to PhD students of a Flemish university
: free of charge
prof. dr. Dimitri Mortelmans