27 Jan Quality assessment in qualitative research-Online
1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
qualitative course | level: beginner |
for questions related to this event, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
affiliation: Ghent University
The ever changing qualitative methodological landscape demonstrates a great variety of different research approaches, methods, philosophical and theoretical perspectives. While researchers are generally clear about markers of research quality for quantitative research, (such as validity, reliability, generalizability and objectivity), the knowledge on how to best judge the quality of qualitative research and which criteria to use is underdeveloped. Over the past 25 years, qualitative scholars have developed best practices for conducting qualitative research, resulting in frameworks and tools to support the appraisal of qualitative studies. Awareness of such standards and available guidelines can be of great value for early career qualitative researchers to learn, practice and ultimately report on their research projects (Tracy & Hinrichs, 2017). The following topics are discussed in this seminar: Why do we need quality criteria for qualitative research? What does quality mean in qualitative research? What is the purpose of quality assessment? Which tools are available to support quality assessment for qualitative research in general, and for specific research designs?
This seminar will review the theory and practice of quality assessment in qualitative research. It is meant for:
- researchers that would like to have a general understanding of strategies that can be used to improve and demonstrate quality (in the context of their own qualitative study)
- researchers that would like to be able to judge qualitative studies on the basis of quality criteria (in the context of doing a systematic review or other review of existing qualitative literature)
This seminar will include:
- An introductory lecture on quality criteria for qualitative research and quality assessment
- A workshop exercise to explore existing critical appraisal instruments
By the end of this seminar, participants will:
- know the main quality markers/criteria adopted in qualitative research
- understand that there are different criteria for different research designs
- know how to assess qualitative research studies
- have an understanding of the available tools used in critical appraisal of qualitative research
- be able to improve the quality of their own qualitative study
- be able to demonstrate quality in their own reporting (articles, dissertation)
Due to the pandemic, the seminar will be organized remotely.
No previous knowledge or experience in qualitative research methods is required. The seminar will be taught in English. Ability to read, write and speak in English are a prerequisite for participation.
PhD's or postdocs of a Flemish university: free of charge
Other academics: 30 €
Non-profit/Public sector: 50 €
Private sector: 100 €
Sign up (price ticket depends on affiliation)
You will receive payment details later from the organiser by email.
"Quality assessment in qualitative research-Online" is currently sold out.
Please check back again later, as spots may become available.