09 Sep Practicing wrangling and data visualization in R (recurring workshop) – online
1:30 pm - 4:30 pm
statistics seminar | level: intermediate |
for questions related to this event, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
affiliation: KU Leuven
Starting from October 2020, a 3h workshop will be organized every month to allow you to practice your R & Tidyverse skills. The workshops are meant for researchers that would like to find a “moment” every month to practice their R skills, focusing on how to summarize and arrange data to make meaningful charts with ggplot2, tidyr, dplyr, and other tools in the tidyverse ecosystem.
This series of workshops is based on the R4DS Online Learning Community weekly #TidyTuesday event. Here you can find more information:
• So, what is TidyTuesday? This is the description reported on TidyTuesday GitHub repository:
“Every week we post a raw dataset, a chart or article related to that dataset, and ask you to explore the data. While the dataset will be “tamed”, it will not always be tidy! As such you might need to apply various R for Data Science techniques to wrangle the data into a true tidy format. The goal of TidyTuesday is to apply your R skills, get feedback, explore other’s work, and connect with the greater #RStats community! As such we encourage everyone of all skills to participate!
The intent of Tidy Tuesday is to provide a safe and supportive forum for individuals to practice their wrangling and data visualization skills independent of drawing conclusions. While we understand that the two are related, the focus of this practice is purely on building skills with real-world data.”
• What are we going to do during the workshops?
You can choose to work on your own data or to use the datasets provided in the TidyTuesday projects – there are more than 140 datasets available! If you choose the latter, several examples of codes will be showed to you as inspiration. There is no actual lecturing, but more of a sharing of tips & tricks on coding in R & Tidyverse.
DATE & TIME:
November 17th, 2020 – ONLINE
13:30 – 16:30
- Since the maximum number of participants is set to 12, you cannot register for all workshops. You can attend one workshops every two months. For example: you can register for the October workshop but not for the one organized in November. Then, you can register again for the workshop organized in December.
- Since the current pandemic situation, the workshops in October and November 2020 are organized online. The workshop in December 2020 might be organized on campus (more information will follow).
- The workshops that will be organized from January to June will be published on the FLAMES website in the upcoming months.
This workshops are NOT introductory courses to R and Tidyverse. This means that you MUST already know how to code in R. In case you don’t have this prior knowledge, please first follow these courses:
- Introduction to R (organized at FLAMES KU Leuven, FLAMES UHasselt and FLAMES UGent).
- Tidying data with Tidyverse: introduction to how to tidy data using several packages from tidyverse (organized in December 2020 at KU Leuven).
For any information, don’t hesitate to contact the organizer at email@example.com
Wickham, H., & Grolemund, G. (2016). R for data science: import, tidy, transform, visualize, and model data. " O'Reilly Media, Inc.". Online version here: https://r4ds.had.co.nz/
Due to the circumstances of limited places, priority is given to PhD students and postdocs of a Flemish university PhD's and postdocsof a Flemish university: free of charge