17 Dec Introduction to Python for statistical data analysis
- 17/05/2021 - 20/05/2021
1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
methodology course | level: beginner |
for questions related to this event, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
affiliation: Ghent University
THIS IS AN INTRODUCTORY COURSE FOR BEGINNERS WITH NO OR VERY LITTLE PYTHON-PROGRAMMING
This course is intended as an Introduction to the Python programming language. In four afternoons, participants will build up the skills needed to import and manipulate data, construct descriptive statistics and plots, and perform basic analysis.
The course includes:
- Introducing the Python Anaconda distribution
- Types, Variables and Data Structures
- Functions, including writing your own
- Importing and exporting data
- Data manipulation with Numpy & Pandas
- Graphics with Matplotlib and Seaborn
- Basic statistical data analysis with scipy & statsmodels (i.e. descriptive analysis, statistical tests to compare
groups, and linear regression)
Python is free and for this course you need to install the Anaconda distribution from
https://www.anaconda.com/download/. It is recommended that you use Python version 3 or higher.
No prior Python knowledge is required.
However, participants have to be familiar with basic statistical concepts as different measurement levels, measurements of centralization and variation, hypotheses testing and linear regression analysis.
We will apply those techniques using Python, so you need to be able to understand these concepts.
PhDs and postdocs of a Flemish university: free
Other academics: 120 €
Non-profit/Social sector: 200 €
Private sector: 400 €