24 Feb Essentials of qualitative research design – ONLINE
- First day
9:30 am - 5:00 pm
- Second day
9:30 am - 5:00 pm
qualitative course | level: beginner |
for questions related to this event, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
affiliation: KU Leuven
This two-day course provides a general overview of the options available for novice qualitative researchers. It introduces the main principles and elements of qualitative research. Participants learn how to conduct a qualitative study, starting from choosing an appropriate research design, developing a firm research question to collecting and analyzing data.
The following topics are covered:
- What is qualitative research?
- Ontology and epistemology in qualitative research
- Development of research questions
- The main qualitative approaches to inquiry (case-study, ethnography, grounded theory, phenomenology, narrative research)
- Qualitative data collection (focus on interviews and observations)
- Qualitative data analysis (focus on thematic analysis)
- Ethics and integrity in qualitative research
You won’t learn how to do qualitative research by just listening to a lecturer, but this course may already be a next step in developing your qualitative oriented research process. We will pay much attention to practical exercises with regard to the topics on formulating research questions, collecting data through observations, and analyzing and interpreting data.
This is an introductory course. It is meant for doctoral researchers at the early beginning of their qualitative research trajectory, and for those who are considering to apply qualitative research methods for the very first time.
Phd’s and post-docs of a Flemish University: free
Other Academics: €120
Non-profit/social sector: €200
Private sector: €400
This course will be organized online.
Dr. Maaike Fobelets, Dr. Bert Van Puyenbroeck, Dr. Sara Coemans