20 Aug Essential Tools for R
20/08/2019 - 23/08/2019
statistics course | level: beginner
registrations and venue via Ghent University
!This course is only for people who have registered for the FLAMES Summer School 2019!
This course gives an introduction to the use of the statistical software language R. R is a language for data analysis and graphics. In 15 hours, you’ll learn the basics of R. This is a hands-on course with practical assignments.
The course includes:
- An introduction to the software package R
- Different data structures in R
- Importing data in R
- Writing your own functions
- Making basic graphics in R
- Performing some basic descriptive analysis in R
- Performing some basic inference tests in R (i.e., testing independence, proportions, t-tests, regression analysis)
- At the end of the course you should be able to start and perform an analysis by yourself and, if you need something fancy, find out where to get help.
R is for free and for more information you can visit the site https://cran.r-project.org for installation. It is also recommended to install RStudio (for free) at https://www.rstudio.com.
PhDs and postdocs of a Flemish university: 0 €
Other academics: 150 €
Non-profit/Social sector: 250 €
Private sector: 500 €
There are no prerequisites, but previous knowledge about basic mathematical and statistical principles (e.g., vectors, descriptive statistics) is recommended for the introduction in statistical techniques.
R For Dummies. Andrie de Vries, Joris Meys. ISBN: 978-1-119-96284-7. Jun 2012. 406 pages
Dr. Emmanuel Abatih