Flames courses are in high demand and have considerable waiting lists with interested potential participants, so we aim to fill all the available places in each course. Therefore, we have a strict cancellation policy in place allowing us to maintain the standards of our courses and to increase the chances of participation for each interested individual.
For PhD students, a Flames course is a formal part of their doctoral training, the cost of which is covered for by the doctoral schools. For private sector and non-profit participants, the payable fee covers the working costs of their participation in the course or workshop. Once enrolled, all participants are expected to participate online and/or be present on site. PhD students are also expected to inform their supervisor of their enrolment.
Late cancellations or no-shows have several negative consequences for the course organizers and potential participants:
- Other interested researchers have no chance to participate.
- The cost per participant increases substantially.
- Food, materials and time are wasted.
- Smaller groups will not guarantee the quality of courses/workshops or may lead to a complete cancellation of the course in question.
If by chance you have to cancel your enrolment or withdraw from a course for which you registered, we kindly ask you to inform us as soon as possible. In order to compensate for the incurred financial and material expenses in case of a late cancellation or no-show, the following regulations apply:
1. Written cancellation
All participants need to inform the course organizer by email/in writing of a cancellation or withdrawal from the course. The message needs to receive the organizer of the course at least 7 calendar days before the (starting) date of the course..
2. Penalty within 7 calender days
A cancellation or withdrawal less than 7 calendar days before the start of the course without a valid reason will invoke the following penalties:
- The promotor of the PhD students will be notified.
- Private/non-profit participants will be charged a cancellation fee of 100 euros per course per day that will be deducted from the total sum eligible for reimbursement.
3. Valid reasons for cancellation
events that will not invoke a cancellation fee are
- Documented illness;
- Documented cases of personal or family emergencies.
The reasons for cancellation will have to be duly documented with a medical certificate (illness) or an official declaration (emergencies). The documents will have to be mailed to email@example.com within 5 working days after the cancellation. Failure to comply with these documentation terms will invoke the cancellation penalties under 2.
In case of an unannounced no-show on the day of the course/workshop:
- The PhD student will be charged a one-off personal fee of 100 EUR (irrespective of the duration of the course) and will prohibited from entering another course for the next 6 months.
- Private/non-profit participants will be charged the full participation fee of the course/workshop without any form of reimbursement.
- The no-show penalties above will not be due if the participant can provide the documents for the valid reasons stated under 3 above, to be mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org within 3 working days after the scheduled date of the course.
5. Repeat cancellations
In case of a second last-minute cancellation or no-show, participants will not be allowed to enter a Flames course again; PhD students’ promotors will be notified of the repeat infringement.